Monday, September 6, 2010

...and in the morning, I'm making waffles!

So yesterday my mom told me that she's having her friend over for Labor Day for a brunch because she couldn't find a restaurant that would be open and have a brunch for today (go figure...). Well she asked me to make waffles because i do love making things and it would help her out, so i yes YES!

I usually make waffles and pancakes out of a box mix but lately I've been frustrated with the box mix because the little closey/open tab thing annoys me so i decided to make the waffles from scratch. I remembered that Alton Brown had an episode about making waffles and i wanted to try it out. So, I went to foodnetwork.com and got the Basic Waffle Recipe (only after reading the reviews to see if i should change anything or not even make them).

They were really fun to make and my mom, dad, sister, and mom's co-worker seem to really like them. I haven't eaten them yet because it was too late for breakfast for me, but I might have them for dessert later tonight....if there's any left that is.

the batter :)

I had to hurry with this one because i didn't want it to cook on one side more than the other.

Doesn't it look magnificent?

ta-daaaaa!

Cinnamon Waffles
adapted from Alton Brown's basic waffle recipe
makes 6 8" round waffles (I got 10 6" round waffles)

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 cups room temperature buttermilk (I used low fat and it wasn't room temperature)
vegtable oil spray for greasing

Directions 
  1. Preheat your waffle maker
  2. In a medium bowl whisk together the flours, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. In a separate bowl mix together the melted butter and the eggs together until well blended, then add the buttermilk. 
  3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Then add the vanilla and the ground cinnamon and gently stir. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes.
  4. Ladle batter onto greased waffle maker and cook until both sides or a golden brown. Serve immediately or keep in an oven at 200 degrees F until ready to serve.  
(based on what the ammount I made)
Nutrition Facts
Per Serving:
Calories 189.6 Total Fat 6.8 g Saturated Fat 3.7 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5 g Monounsaturated Fat 2.1 g Cholesterol 78.2 mg Sodium 415.8 mg Potassium 121.5 mg Total Carbohydrate 25.6 g Dietary Fiber 0.7 g Sugars 6.2 g Protein 6.1 g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...