Sunday, September 5, 2010

Cinnamon Raisin Bagels

OK, so I'm Becca and this is my first ever blog post! I've been wanted to do this for a little while now, but I finally got the nerve to actually start it, ha ha. Anyhow, onto the baked goods!

My first post will be about Cinnamon Raisin Bagels. A few weeks a go I got this book called  1001 cupcakes, cookies & other tempting treats at Barns and Nobles, well i was really excited because on every page there was something that i wanted to bake and every recipe had an alternative recipe to it, which made it better! Well on page 63 there was a bagel recipe and my dad usually likes eating bagels in the morning and i saw on the alternative recipe box a way to make it a  cinnamon raisin bagel (which my dad loves). so on Friday I told him that I would make these bagels and then see if he likes them compared to the store bought ones. He hasn't tried it, but he said he would once he got back from golf this afternoon, and I'm really excited! i love it when people taste the things I bake even if I don't like one of the ingredients (I don't happen to like raisins...I don't think...and so I'll probably just eat around the raisins).

the first time I made the dough it turned out like this:
the second time I made the dough after a few adjustments :)
proofing in the oven because my house was freezing
poaching in some simmering water
the final product! a little over done but that's OK with me :) 
My own comments or variations will be in purple.

Cinnamon & Raisin Bagels
Souce: 1001 cupcakes, cookies & other tempting treats
makes 10 mini bagels 

Ingredients
vegetable oil for greasing
2 1/2 cups of bread flour (extra for dusting)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon (1.5 tsp cinnamon)
1 envelope of active dry yeast
1 tbsp of lightly beaten egg
3/4 cup of lukewarm water (110-115 degrees F)
1/3 cup of raisins
1 egg white (omited)
2 tsp water (omited)

My own directions (because the first directions are confusing a kind of long):


  1. Heat 3/4 cup water to 110-115 degrees F and use to dissolve yeast in a mixing bowl.


  2. Once yeast is dissolved sift flour, salt and cinnamon together. Once it is well mixed add the tbsp of egg (DON'T GET RID OF THE REST OF THE EGG!).

  3. Knead dough onto a floured surface for 10 minutes or until it is smooth. form into a ball and place into a greased bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp wash cloth and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour. Punch down dough and knead in the raisins for 2 minutes then divide dough into 10 balls and let rise for 5 minutes. Once this is done, gently flatten the dough balls with the palm of your band and take a wooden spoon and create a hole in the center of the disc (you may need to shape the dough once you've made the hole). Let the dough rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.

  4. Set the oven to 425 degrees F (I used convection bake, which may have made them a little over done) and bring a large sauce pan full of water to a simmer. Poach the bagels for 1 minute on one side and 30 seconds on the other. Drain the excess water onto a dish towel.

  5. Lightly grease a 2 baking sheets and place 5 bagels on each sheet. Take the rest of the egg you didn't use and brush it over the tops of each bagel. Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes (I had to stop at 23 minutes because they were on the verge of over baking).

  6. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
(estimated)Nutrition Facts
Per Serving:
Calories 142.6 Total Fat 0.9 g Saturated Fat 0.2 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3 g Monounsaturated Fat 0.1 g Cholesterol 10.6 mg Sodium 470.0 mg Potassium 75.0 mg Total Carbohydrate 28.9 g Dietary Fiber 1.2 g Sugars 2.8 g Protein 4.6 g

1 comment:

  1. I love that you included that first picture. :) Cinnamon raisin bagels are so tasty but they're such a pain to make. You're really nice to go to such trouble for your dad!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...