Sunday, November 21, 2010

Nice Little Crumpets

Whoa, I’m on a blogging roll this week. Well yesterday I really wanted to make something with yeast because I love the smell of it (don’t judge me it’s a delicious scent, they should make it a candle) and I was thinking maybe I could make some kind of bread. Well, I also miss crumpets*. Whenever I go see my grandma and mom’s sister and her family in Australia I love to eat the crumpets because…well I don’t know they are just appealing to me and with a little bit of honey dripping off the side…mmmmm. Well first and foremost I wanted to make crumpets because I had never made them before and I wanted to see if I could and to my surprise they have yeast in them! So I’m killing two birds with one stone here.

The crumpets I made took forever (like about an hour and a half) but that’s because I only had one pasty ring, sad. But I made them anyways and they reminded me so much of the crumpets that I eat in Australia and they were yummy and they had the texture that I love. The only thing was that it didn’t form the bubbles at the top like a normal crumpet would, which was kind of a downer but I still love this recipe and I think next time I make them I’ll make them earlier in the morning so I don’t have to sit and wait with my tummy yelling at me all morning.

*Crumpets are a British yeast bread that looks kind of like an English muffin (only in my opinion, waaaaay better)

A little burnt, but that's ok...and yes with one pastry ring it took a loooong time to cook
see, no holes :(
but these were way too yummy to be preoccupied with holes

Crumpets
slightly adapted from great party recipes
makes 16 (I got 14)

Ingredients
1/2 cup warm water (105° - 115°)

2 teaspoons sugar or honey
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups milk (buttermilk)

Directions
  1. In a large bowl, stir the sugar or honey into the warm water. Sprinkle the active dry yeast over the top and let it sit until it bubbles, about 5 minutes.
  2. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and let it sit for about half an hour in a warm place.
  3. Grease a griddle or frying pan and the crumpet rings or cookie cutters. Place the rings on the cooking surface and preheat all.
  4. Pour about 3 tablespoons of batter into each 3" ring (you will probably need to spread the batter with a rubber spatula) and cook over medium low heat until set, about 10 minutes. (Avoid cooking them too quickly.) The top should be full of holes when they are ready to turn.
  5. Remove the rings from the crumpets, turn, and brown the other side, if desired, for a minute or so. Repeat until all the batter is used.
  6. Serve warm with butter and jam or clotted cream and jam or my personal favorite, honey! Makes 16 crumpets.
Nutrition Facts
serving size: 1 crumpet
Calories 84.1 Total Fat 0.2 g Saturated Fat 0.1 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g Monounsaturated Fat 0.1 g Cholesterol 1.1 mg Sodium 235.0 mg Potassium 68.2 mg Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g Dietary Fiber 0.7 g Sugars 2.5 g Protein 3.0 g

2 comments:

  1. Yeast-scented candles: I love that idea!! I would buy it immediately, I love the smell of yeast too. I had never heard of crumpets, but if they're anything like english muffins, then I'm sure I'll love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (hehe her last name is pastry.) looks great becca!
    ~cousin Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...