Sunday, July 31, 2011

Grape Jelly Roly-Poly Pastry





He’s Rolie Polie Olie
He’s small and smart and round
And in the land of curves and curls
He’s the swellest kid around!

Ok, who remembers that show when it aired on Disney? Or is it still airing? I don’t know I don’t watch that channel anymore because- well I wont get into that rant today. The point is, it was an awesome show when I was a kid. And why am I telling you this, you ask? Well it has to do with this jam roll up thing that I made.

I got this cookbook about two weeks ago from Borders. (Did you guys hear? It’s closing forever!!! ;-; Everything is on sale and there are chalk outlines made of duct tape of “dead people” and it’s all just so sad.) It was in the bargain aisle for $2.99 and I figured why the heck not? This book is called Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey Treats for Kids. Now you see where I’m getting at with the whole children’s programming and television shows?


The book itself is just so fun and adorable. The pages are cut in little ridges and each page is filled with so many colors. It’s a book that makes you feel all happy and giddy inside! There are three sections to this book: What’s Your Story, Morning Glory (treats for breakfast), Everyday’s a Holiday (simple, yet special treats), and Get This Party Started (cute sounding desserts). After flipped through and reading all of the recipes, a couple stuck in my mind that I know I have to bake at some point in my life, but this particular one stuck out even more.

It’s supposed to be called Holy Moly! Strawberry Jam Roly-Poly, but I changed that to Grape Jelly because that is the type of jelly I used, it’s my favorite. To be honest, I had a little trouble with this recipe, but I think it was mostly my fault. It calls for frozen butter, and I knew this, but I put the butter into the freezer only an hour before baking, so I don’t think it was completely frozen when I started grating it. The butter started getting soft in my hands and they turned into a slick, greasy mess. However, putting the grated butter and flour mixture in the freezer while I unloaded the dishwasher for ten minutes helped it a bit. The second problem was that I didn’t put enough flour on the counter, so when I went to roll out the dough, it was a little sticky, but nothing I couldn’t handle. Everything else went very smoothly, except when I was getting hungry and I didn’t wait long enough (only 30 minutes) for the roll to fully cool and the slices didn’t turn out at neat as they should have, but that’s ok.

Now, I will stop with the negatives and talk about how awesome this Jelly Roll thing is. I say it tasts pretty darned good. The crusty bit (is there another adjective that makes that sound, I don’t know, not weird?) on the outside is very crumbly and is fun to pick off and just eat. Then you get to the dough on the inside and it is so soft and chewy (in a good way). Finally, you get the hint of the sweet Grape Jelly rolled all around the dough. I was a little afraid I had squeezed all of the filling to the very end when I was rolling it, but no, it all stayed in a pretty even swirl. I just wish I had put a little more jelly as the filling because that would have made it even more “swell”.



Grape Jelly Roly-Poly
slightly adapted from Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey Treats for Kids

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, frozen
2/3 cup ice cold water (or more if needed)
½ cup grape jelly (or whatever jelly/jam you prefer)
1 tbsp milk for brushing

Directions
  1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Set aside.
  3. Using the large holes of a grater, grate the frozen butter into the flour mixture. Be careful, because the butter may become slippery in your hands and no one wants skin chunks in their pastry, not to mention you could hurt yourself. Once butter has been grated it, lightly toss the flour and the butter together. If the butter starts getting a little soft, put the whole bowl into the freezer for 5-10 minutes.
  4. Stir in the ice cold water into the flour and butter mixture and gently work it with your hands until it forms a loose ball. Add more water a little bit at a time if the dough is too dry.
  5. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead the dough for 5 or 6 turns. Roll the dough out do it measures roughly 9 inches by 13 inches. Spread the jelly or jam in the center of the dough, leaving a 1 inch border on all sides. Take the long end of the dough and roll it up. Place the seam side down onto the parchment paper. Brush the top with a little milk and if desired, sprinkle a little bit of sugar on top for added sweetness.
  6. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the pastry has puffed and turned golden brown. Cool on the baking pan for a few minutes before removing it onto a cooling rack. Let the pastry cool completely before slicing. Use a serrated knife and cut diagonally to get 6 portions. Serve, and enjoy. Maybe warm up some more of the same jelly or jam and pour over the top, or possibly add some fresh whipped cream?

6 comments:

  1. I almost died when I saw how you started this blog post.
    Rolly Polli came out right after my youngest son was born and the whole family became ADDICTED to that show. I miss that little round robot sooo much! He makes me miss my baby being young and cute and adorable. Excuse me while I go cry. ☺

    I simply LOVE your blog Becca and oh my gosh your fonts here are simply precious! -

    I found your blog from "My Baking Addiction" and your comment about muffin tops, how the stores get them so crusty.

    Here's a trick:
    You can sprinkle the tops of your muffins liberally with large grain crystal sugar or regular if you have it. This usually does it.

    You can also mix a little softened butter in a bowl with sugar and sprinkle the tops that way as well. Just before baking of course.

    Have bookmarked your blog Becca! Just adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like it would be a perfect recipe for kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a recipe that tastes great, but won't make you roly poly from eating it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! Definitely trying this..perhaps even today. :) Thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Becca, thank you for visiting the blog and your lovely comment. This Roly Poly looks so delicious, it would taste amazing with some custard. Wonderful recipes you have here.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...