Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Candy Maker I Am Not

Sometimes I get ideas. Those ideas can go one of two ways: crummy or marvelous.

After I get those ideas implanted into my head, the ideas never go away. All I can think about is that idea and how it will turn out. Then, I imagine it turning out perfect, with no little hiccups along the way.




Sometimes, though, those ideas don’t go according to plan.

Last week, I got to notion in my head to make candy. Not just any sort of candy, no, honeycomb candy. The first time I had a honeycomb candy was when I was in Australia visiting family and I had a Violet Crumble. Violet Crumbles are melt-in-your-mouth honeycomb candy bars that are dipped in chocolate. They are absolutely delicious.

I don’t know what reminded me of them, but I suddenly wanted to make my own honeycomb candy. I am not a candy maker-yet. I have made it once in my life, and yet, I somehow thought that this honeycomb candy would turn out perfect.

Candy maker extraordinar I am not. The honeycomb candy did not turn out perfect. In fact, I burnt it before it reached the 300 degree mark. The house smelled still smells of burnt sugar.


Oh well, I’m not too disappointed though. The experience made me laugh at myself, and that’s ok by me.

3 comments:

  1. We all have our bad baking days! I haven't been brave enough to make candy. And I think I'll jus stick to buying it from the store :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who has had a fair few bad baking days, I can totally relate. Its definitely the trying and experimenting that counts. Hope it works out the way you want it to the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear... how frustrating! Good on you for giving it a go :) I haven't made honeycomb before but I've had so many epic failures making caramel that I think I can feel your pain...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...