Monday, January 30, 2012

Double Chocolate Cookies



So last weekend I had all intensions of using the left over can of pumpkin puree from this past November. I had all intensions of making this. Doesn’t it look delicious? As soon as I saw this I wanted to bake it so bad! And it has a crumble on top; I can’t resist the crumble!

Sadly, I did not get a chance to bake that lovely little pumpkin treat on a count of I got a chocolate craving; a HUGE chocolate craving. After I got this chocolate craving, I realized I hadn’t made cookies in such a long time. This had to be fixed, and quick. So I browsed through Foodgawker searching for a double chocolate chip cookie because what could satisfy a hankering for chocolate for than a chocolate cookie studded with chocolate chips?


I have to be honest: I was a little…maybe a lot… nervous about making these double chocolate chip cookies. The recipe calls for melted chocolate, which makes for a delicious fudgy cookie. The last time I worked with melted chocolate in a cookie, it went terribly wrong, wrong, wrong.

The batter for this was so lusciously thick; it reminded me of dense brownie batter. Even before the flour was added, I was mesmerized by how the creamy mixture of the eggs and sugar combined with the velvety smooth butter and chocolate. It thickened up quite nicely, and then I added the flour and this fudgy dough appeared right before my very eyes. It was magic.


The original recipe says that the recipe would make two dozen cookies, but again, I got 56 cookies, that’s almost 5 dozen cookies! But I don’t mind, it means I can have three for the price of one. However, I can’t have a whole bunch of cookies just sitting around, so I put to work this new trick I learned and froze the left-over portioned out cookie dough.

I only baked a dozen initially (and stored the rest away) and my dad loved these so much he had eight cookies for dessert! These cookies are best eaten right out of the oven, especially with a glass of milk. Do it. As soon as the timer goes off, take the cookies out of the oven and just stand there eating the cookies right off the tray, you won’t be sorry.



Double Chocolate Cookies
Adapted from Leela Cyd
Makes 56 small cookies

Ingredients
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
7 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs, room temperature
1 cup + 1 tbsp sugar
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
½ cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
200 g semisweet chocolate chips

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Fill a small sauce pan with about an inch of water. Let it come to a simmer and place a glass bowl on top. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda; set aside.
  2. Add the chopped chocolate and butter to the double boiler, stirring occasionally. Once the chocolate and butter have completely melted, take the bowl off the heat (careful not to burn your hands with the steam!) and add in the vanilla. Set the bowl aside to cool.
  3. Place the sugar and eggs in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium until creamy and light in color, about 3 minutes. Slowly pour in the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl and beat until all of the chocolate has fully integrated with the sugar and egg mixture. The batter will start to become thick, so scrape down the sides of the bowl.
  4. Turn the speed down to low and gently add in the flour and cocoa mixture. Stir until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Using a portion scoop of your choice (I really need to get a bigger one) scoop out the dough and place them on the parchment lined baking sheet about 1.5-2 inches apart. Bake in the middle rack for 9-11 minutes.
  5. Take the cookies out of the oven and set the tray on a cooling rack for about two minutes. Remove the cookies from the tray onto the cooling rack to cool completely. Or you can do what I did and take a cookie (hot out of the oven) right off the tray and enjoy the fudgy cookie with sinfully amazing melty chocolate chips. 
Note: If you don’t get a chance to eat one hot out of the oven, microwave the cookies for 9 seconds and the chocolate chips will become just as melty and delicious.  

4 comments:

  1. My father was just bugging me today how I never bake enough with chocolate. I think these might satisfy his sweet tooth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin- These will absolutely do the trick! They are so soft and gooey and the semisweet chocolate is (I believe) the perfect chocolate chip to use for this kind of cookie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...