Friday, April 6, 2012

Marbled Chocolate Chip Cookies


If a table of every kind of luscious, gooey, creamy, crunchy, sinful, rich, and decadent desserts were spread out in front and I could only choose one I would most likely 99% of the time choose the chocolate chip cookie.

Yes. I know having a choice of chocolate éclairs, amber caramel, silky smooth ice cream, peanut brittle, crème brule, and dense chocolate cake would pose a problem to some, but not me. It doesn’t take much to please me. The simple warm and gooey chocolate chip cookie brings a smile to my lips and a joyful clap in my hands.


When I was little I would beg my parents for the treat by shouting “Geeka! Geeka!” This was when I was fluent in Spanish and was too young to pronounce the “galletita” which means “little cookie”.

Although these cookies don’t come from my childhood, they certainly bring back a child-like quality into my mind. This cookie takes the classic chocolate chip cookie and the double chocolate chip cookie and melds it into one swirly twirly chocolate chip cookie. I mean come on, what kid doesn’t go nuts for swirls and twirls.

I’m not going to admit that these are out of this world/mind blowing/stop you in your tracks tasting cookies. And I’m not telling you that these are awful. What I’m telling you is that these cookies are a special little treat for those of us who are little kids at heart and wouldn’t mind turning to the familiar taste of a chocolate chip cookie.


Marbled Chocolate Chip Cookies
slightly adapted from Peabody
makes 46 cookies

Ingredients
1 cup + 2 tbsp flour
½ tsp baking soda
3/8 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
2 tbsp cocoa powder
150 g semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

Cream butter and sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on high for 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla extract and egg. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat for another 30 seconds.  Slow the speed down and carefully add in the flour mixture until just incorporated.

Take out ¾ cup of the dough and place in another bowl. Add the cocoa powder to the mixture in the bowl and beat until incorporated. Beat in about half of the chocolate chips. Stir the remaining chocolate chips into the light dough.*

Scoop dough into portions from each batter. Cut each portion in half. Take a half from the light dough and a half from the chocolate dough and roll together. Place onto prepared baking sheet two inches apart. Moisten your hand and flatten each cookie slightly. Bake for 6-8 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. 

*Note: because I just eye-balled the ratio I ended up getting a more chocolate dough than I did the normal dough.

4 comments:

  1. A beautiful twist to a classic cookie! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious and you've got the best of both worlds with the 2 cookie mixtures :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey my first time here!!! Nice space... N pretty clicks!! Glad to b here

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...