Monday, September 17, 2012

Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies




Hey, I know it’s been a while since my last post. I used to do two updates a week, but that was during summer and had nothing to do. Now I’m in school and I’m starting to get used the rhythm of things. I think now that I’m used to when I get out of class and how much homework I have, I’ll probably (hopefully) will start updating once a week.

Another reason I haven’t been posting is because I haven’t made anything worth blogging about. Like I said in my last post, I made cookies, but they weren’t all that great. Then I made some kind of chiffon orange muffin, but that had no flavor and then developed a soapy taste after just one day. I also tried making granola, but I burnt it. I have just not been having much luck in the kitchen, until these cookies.


My dream chocolate chip cookie includes a soft, gooey middle with a slightly crisp outer ring. The cookie has to have not too many chocolate chips and be slightly puffy so I can get a good sense of the actual cookie’s taste.

These cookies have a slight crisp outer crust, the center is perfectly soft, and the chocolate chips melted beautifully and didn’t overwhelm the cookie. I wish the cookie had a little more volume and a little more brown sugar flavor but other than that this batch was really great.

Oh, and you know how some cookies get kind of stale after sitting on the counter for just a few hours? Not a problem with this recipe. I left them on the counter for several hours and they were still soft and chewy.


Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Slightly adapted from Penguin in the Kitchen
Makes about 2 dozen cookies

Ingredients
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. baking soda
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 egg, room temperature
½ cup (75 g) semi sweet chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat the oven to 325 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.

Sift together flour, salt, and baking soda into a small bowl; set aside. In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the melted butter and sugars together until creamy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix on a low speed until all the dry ingredients have been incorporated. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed. Mix in the chocolate chips.

Using a small cookie scoop (I believe mine is a 1.5 oz.), portion the dough out, spacing each cookie about two inches apart. Bake dough for 10-12 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.

Cool on a wire rack for a few minutes before removing the cookies to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...