Thursday, February 7, 2013

Chocolate Kiss Krispies



I know I haven't been posting on this blog as much as I usually do. School is tough. I'm taking Calculus  II, Physics I, Chemistry II, Engineering, and History of Technologies, so please, allow me to be a little scrambled with posts. It's not that I haven't been baking, because trust me, I have! The thing keeping me from posting is my work load. By the time I remember to write a post or edit pictures, or even take pictures, it's 10 or 11 at night. Hopefully this weekend will be a little less bah and I can take some photos and write. With that said, lets get to the topic at hand: rice krispie treats!

The other day I saw this recipe for chocolate rice krispie treats that sounded absolutely amazing! They consisted of cocoa rice krispie cereal, Hershey’s kisses, and hot chocolate mix! All that chocolate sounded perfect, so I set out to make them.


Even though I adapted these quite a bit, I still think they taste absolutely fantastic. The kisses melt when added to the hot butter and marshmallow mixture, creating pockets of creamy milk chocolate. And who doesn’t like pockets of chocolate?

And how many of you are fans of a really compact marshmallow treat? And ones that love it when they fall apart? Well these rice krispie treats are sort of both. They are firm enough to hold their shape and don’t fall apart when you pick it up, but these are soft enough that if you wanted to pull it apart, like I do, these give way easy. It’s like a magic rice krispie treat!

In the spirit of the upcoming Valentine’s Day, I added a strawberry milk glaze on top. Now you can top this with whatever you want, because this really doesn’t use much strawberry milk powder, and I don’t want you going out and buying some just for this glaze, although it I pretty, and sets up nice and crunchy like.

Enjoy!


Chocolate Kiss Krispies
Adapted from The Sweet Chick
Makes one 9-inch square pan

Ingredients
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
5 oz. mini marshmallows
3 cups Cocoa Rice Krispie cereal
12 milk chocolate Hershey’s kisses, roughly chopped

Directions
Line a 9-inch square pan with tin foil. Grease foil with cooking spray and set aside.

In a medium sized pot, melt together the butter and mini marshmallows over medium heat. Once both the butter and marshmallows have completely melted, take off the heat and add in the cereal and chopped kisses. Stir to combine, making sure all of the cereal is completely coated in melted marshmallow.

Pour the marshmallow mix into the prepared pan, using your hands to spread it to all corners. Wetting your hands with help the mixture from sticking to your hands. Let the mixture cool before topping with the glaze.

To make the glaze: combine ½ cup confectioners’ sugar, 1 tsp. strawberry milk mix, and 1 - 2 tsp. hot water. Add water by ¼ tsp. until you get desired glazing consistency. Drizzle glaze over top of the marshmallow treat. Cut into desired shapes. (I got 9 treats plus some giant scraps with the heart cutter I used) 

4 comments:

  1. Nothing quite beats simple nibbles, and I often make chocolate rice krispie squares. I'm going to have to use my heart shaped cutters like u :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I haven't had Cocoa Krispies in forever but I loved them when I was a kid! This is my favorite spin on Rice Krispie treats I think I've seen. And the hearts are just too cute for Valentine's Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious and I love how you cut them into heart shapes.
    Good luck with all your classes - sounds tough

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you may need to change the name of this blog to The Braniac Baker. Girl you are one smart cookie! Pun intended. What are you hoping to do when you get out of school?
    I certainly sympathize with your work load plight as you know. It's hard finding balance.

    I'm pinning all your recipes for future use and think I may need to make this soon. So creative to use a heart cutter, but then I expect no less from an engineer. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...